One of my friends hosted a "recipe swap" tonight. The idea is that a group of people all bring a separate dish with enough recipe cards for everyone. Our theme was Italian. No one is supposed to know what everyone else brought, because after everyone has eaten, there is a vote! You can choose which categories you would like to vote on. I'm pretty sure our's were "best tasting," "most kid-friendly," "best looking," "most creative," and "most creative recipe card." Guess who won "best looking?" Moi!!! And I know our host knew I'd be there because she made one of the prizes in a fabric to match my kitchen!
The prizes included an apron (which went to the winner of "best tasting") and four hot pads with matching spatulas!
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish writing out all of my recipe cards, so I had to just put this blog address on the card. So, for those of you who got one of those cards, and for those of you interested, here's what I made.
Prep: 20 min Cook: 55 min Serve: 4
4 chicken breasts
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1 green bell pepper, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
1 red onion, sliced thin
8 oz sliced button mushrooms
1 jar (24 oz) marinara sauce
1 Roma tomatoes, sliced thin
2 tsp minced garlic
1. Place chicken in large mixing bowl and cover with flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Toss to evenly coat.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place olive oil in dish, and bake for 3 minutes. Add the floured chicken, flip to coat, and bake for 20 minutes.
3. While the chicken is baking, add butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once sizzling, add bell pepper and onion. Saute for 3 minutes before adding mushrooms. Saute all for about 5 minutes more, until mushrooms are almost tender.
4. Once the chicken has baked for 20 minutes, remove from oven and flip pieces. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Combine marinara sauce, Roma tomatoes, and minced garlic with the sauteed vegetables in the skillet, then pour into the baking dish, surrounding the chicken.
5. Bake an additional 30-35 minutes. Serve hot with pasta and plenty of sauce.
This was my first time making it, and I did alter it a bit since I knew multiple people would be eating it instead of just me and my husband. Instead of slicing the veggies, I more or less just chopped them and the chicken to make it easier to serve. I also went ahead and cooked pasta to put in it. Besides that, everything else is the same! I hope you enjoy!